Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Long Weekend

I organized an event this weekend called "24-hour Musicals at CUA" in which three teams each had 24 hours to write, rehearse, and perform a 10-minute musical. Despite some slight mistakes on my part as the producer, despite the lack of actors and singers that showed up at first (thank you, you three!), and despite my lyrics-mangling performance as a necrophiliac mad scientist, the performance went over very well and generated a little buzz. If all goes well, this will turn into the 1st annual 24-hour festival at CUA.

Oh, and the Giants just won the Super Bowl over the Patriots with an amazing final drive. Great game.

Oh, and I lost my voice singing/screaming for the two above events.

Oh, and I'm competing in the 3rd annual Hartke Declamation Contest at CUA tomorrow (Monday). Try giving a convincing speech with no voice and unmemorized selections! At least I still have my diction?...

More to come... Perhaps "When People Are Soft" - my first successful CUA piece, an art song. Check back Wednesday or Thursday.

8 comments:

  1. the musical project sounds like fun! How many people ended up participating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great fun! We started out with only three actors for three musicals, and, after a lot of phone calls and begging, ended up with about twelve by the following evening, so it turned out fine.

    I think it was videotaped. I'm really looking forward to next year's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on some of this buzz, I may have seen a clip of your necrophilia. I'm not sure I understood the artistic implications, but on a personal level my respect for you has grown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... hmmm... let's keep this blog about music, not about aberrant sexual behaviors in which I may or may not partake... :)

    Where can I get a copy?...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did the Declamation go? Glad you had fun watching the Giants win!

    P.S. J and I have become avid disciples of the Better World Shopping Guide. We bought a dozen of them to give away as Christmas gifts, and are now drumming up interest for them within the Divinity school. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you've converted, and it's nice to know that I can have an effect on your life choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. - I guess this doesn't warrant its own post, so... I got 2nd place in the Declamation contest! ($300!)

    That's one place better than last year, meaning next year, I'm sure to win... right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondering... can you link a Facebook movie to here? I'm pretty sure I'm uploading a movie soon...

    ReplyDelete