Friday, April 3, 2009

BEDA Day 4: Django Reinhardt

One day ahead of time, since I'll be away until Sunday evening...

I'm currently deciding a paper topic for my History of Jazz through Analysis final paper. While Coltrane, free jazz, and other crazy developments of the 1960's are eminently intriguing, I've latched onto the playing of early jazz gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt (1910-1953).

If you've never heard this man play, check him out. I recommend any of the files here (a list of .ram downloads). That list is from redhotjazz.com, which also offers a pretty decent biography of Django.

Although redhotjazz.com doesn't have the audio, listen to his blazing solo work on Daphne (his own composition). You can download the entire album Djangology 49 as MP3s from Amazon for $10. Please pass his music around!

No comments:

Post a Comment